Different types of carpets as flooring have their own advantages and limitations. It is a heavy textile that covers the floors to add comfort and warmth to your feet. There is no denying the fact that carpets look beautiful and enhances the overall appearance of the house if they are maintained regularly.
It is important to act on the drink spills and other stains as soon as possible. Also, the fibres of a carpet collect dust particles, dirt, dead skin, pet hair and other debris quickly. So, make sure you maintain your soft and delicate floor coverings on a regular basis using best cleaning supplies and products.
Keeping a plush carpet and rug area clean will not only reduce the impurities from indoor air but also help you pass the final inspection at the end of your tenancy. You can also hire experts for an exceptional end of lease cleaning in Perth to secure your full bond money without any conflict.
However, it is important to regularly clean your house, including your dirty carpets in a natural way. If you don’t know how to get started, have a look at the carpet maintenance checklist:
1. Clear the Mess
A simple cleaning and maintenance process can help you take care of your delicate floor coverings. If you are doing it yourself, start by clearing up the mess.
- Get rid of unnecessary stuff lying on the carpet, such as books, toys, newspaper, magazines, etc.
- Remove heavy furniture if possible. Take assistance from your friend or family members.
- Shift small belongings such as tools, floor lamps and other removable items.
- Keep the carpet area clear before treating tough dust, dirt and tough stains.
2. Identify the Sources of Grime and Soiling
It is important to find out the source of soiling and bad odours so that you can maintain the cleaning aspect on a regular basis.
- Thoroughly check your carpet and rug to find stains, spills and heavy soiled areas.
- Keep the exterior area such as entrances and parking lot clean.
- Clean the transition areas (hard surface to floor coverings) to keep the soil at bay.
- Never eat on the carpet because food particles and drink spills can ruin its fibre.
3. Vacuuming is Imperative
There is no rocket science behind keeping a carpet new for years. All you need to show is little care. Make sure you remove accumulated dust, dirt, pet hair, food particles, pollens, dead skin and other loose contaminants using a heavy-duty vacuum machine with an attachment.
- Regular vacuuming of dirty and grimy carpets will reduce the load of your work at the end of your tenancy and make your carpet look as good as new all year round.
- It is good to vacuum clean the carpet to remove dust embedded deep inside its fibres.
- Do this at least twice a week.
- Reach out the corners of your carpets to get rid of dust and dirt.
- Never treat tough stains before vacuuming. First, remove dry or loose dust, and then work on driving out dried stains or spills.
Fun fact: Around 80 per cent of dry soil and dust particles can be eliminated by proper vacuuming. Make sure you have a dual-motor, top-loading vacuum machine.
4. Drive Out Tough Carpet Stains
There is no denying the fact that wine spills, coffee stains, muddy footprints, and pet stains are a part of life. It is impossible to avoid accidental spills if you have small kids at home. It is good to treat as soon as you encounter them.
- Instead of using traditional cleaning products, you can use white vinegar, mild detergent and baking soda to treat tough carpet stains.
- Blot the coffee spill and other affected areas with a clean microfiber cloth or paper towel if it is fresh or wet.
- Do not rub the area; otherwise, it will damage your carpet.
- Use dishwashing soap (liquid) and warm water to remove stains. Apply the solution and leave it for a few minutes before blotting.
- Next, spray the area with a homemade cleaning agent (white vinegar and water).
- Let it sit for a while.
- If the stain is tough, steam clean over the towel. This will transfer the stain onto the cleaning towel.
- Apply baking soda on the affected area. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- This will break down the stain and also kill bad odours.
- Vacuum clean the floor covering to remove baking soda residue.
- Repeat the process.
- Do this on a frequent basis to keep your carpet looking neat and clean all year ahead.
Tip: You can also hire professionals for carpet steam cleaning in Perth if your carpet needs a deep cleaning.
5. Use Entry Mats
It is good to prevent the accumulation of soil from shoes and pet hairs. For that, you can use absorbent or entry mats.
- Mats should cover at least 10 footsteps to collect soil transferring from footwear.
- Use extra mats during the rainy season. Keep them dry and dust-free.
This is a complete checklist that will help you maintain the look and feel of your carpets for years. Use natural cleaning products and a heavy-duty vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust, grime, stains, mould, pollens, bacteria and bad odours from your beautiful floor covering. If you are running at the end of your tenancy, hire trained people who can carry out a thorough end of lease cleaning in Perth at the best price.